Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Magnesium, migraines and pregnancy.

Here's a break down of the vitamins and supplements that I'm taking as of this moment.

Upon waking up:

Prenatal supplements
A 4000 IU (100% as beta carotene)
C 120 mg
D 400 IU
E 30 IU
Thiamin 1.8 mg
Riboflavin 1.7 mg
Niacin 20 mg
B6 2.6 mg
Folic Acid 800 mcg
B 12 8 mcg
Calcium 200 mg
Iron 28 mg
Zinc 25 mg

+ Expecta Lipil DHA supplement(docosahexaenoic acid from Schizochytrium sp. oil) 200 mg
+ Natural's Magnesium oxide 400 mg with Chelated Zinc 15 mg
+ Calcium 600 mg supplement

I take Magnesium chelate 300mg approximately 3 more times during the day, only supplementing it with one more Calcium pill along the day.

Magnesium oxide on an empty stomach tends to give me an annoying stomach ache, therefore causing me either to puke my guts out or eat something. Naturally ladies - food can be compromised, but those nasty stomach cramps from dry heaves cant. So of course I eat something.

Chelate is much easier on my body - but i have to keep taking it on constant basis. Nearly 2 every couple of hours. Of course I'd rather do that - if that gives me proper amount of minerals and leaves my stomach alone.

My migraine is back tonight, since all day today was empty of any kind of substantial nutrition and my vitamins were left at home. I was able to take my magnesiums but only those.

I'm still trying to work out a good post to write in regards to doctors and pregnancy and the sheer fact that they just dont know how a pregnant woman should supplement her diet. Tonight my diet involved ton of vitamins, a well cooked steak, plenty of steamed veggies and my favorite egg and celery salad with side of yummy rice and glass of cold milk.

If you wonder how I fit it all in my stomach - it was a quick process and portions were tiny :)

No comments: