Wednesday, May 28, 2008

You do get a manual!

Finally got into a doctor's office. To be more exact a nurses' office.

They explained to me quietly and politely that I can't do anything fun, like rob banks,
go on rides in theme parks and drive high speed chases. But in lieu of that I can read about the baby to come, (they gave me a manual) and read more, exercise lightly and take my prenatal vitamins with plenty of water and extreme amounts of food. In small doses. So I don't puke.

Our question as to whether they deal with a lot of girls who have migraines came up unanswered. Apparently headaches are a number one complaint, next to puking their guts out and gaining an awesome amount of weight, way above recommended.

Naturally my approach to the whole deal was quite clinical. I forgot almost everything I was going to ask, but my lovely fiance did pipe in with a few good questions. Nurse was quite helpful, and gave us plenty of literature to read for one day, along with a little dvd.

After which they poked me full of needles, made me sign a couple of papers and let me go while puffing on a cigar and promising to call me back sometime next week...

Lab results generally take two weeks, and my actual doctor's appointment is set for June 23rd, which is quite the ways away.

When nurse asked me about my levels of pain I - like a complete space cadet - forgot the fact that when pain strikes it generally hinders me badly and then leaves me fatigued and in a non-working condition for an hour or so.
So I said it was quite bearable instead, and nurse happily announced that it's completely normal.

While it might be normal, it's still strange to me, so I'd like to be on the cautious side, doubt anyone would complain.

On the plus side, there is a hot line that UC Davis offers their expecting patients. A nurse 1-800 number that you can call any time to ask for an advice. I might be calling them up pretty soon to find out just how well informed they are about migraines with auras and pregnancies that wear a girl out in first month or two to a point of passing out.

No comments: