Thursday, May 22, 2008

Introduction.

Perhaps I should have started this blog a million years ago and introduced you to all my symptoms slowly, not missing any details. But here we are anyways. I found out I'm pregnant with a home pregnancy test and confirmed with my doc yesterday that I indeed am knocked up. So this is going to be a 9 month journey for me, my kid and hopefully some future/current moms afflicted with migraines.

Let me make a brief introduction:
My name is Natasha and I'm 25 years old. I currently work at a fast food restaurant. My hobbies include, but not limited to, chilling like a villain, read, write and Taekwondo.

Luckily I don't have to explain how it is I became knocked up. There are ton of links to explain that.

I'm happily engaged to Gary, the most wonderful man on the planet and very lucky to be a part of his loving family as he is part of mine.

My migraine has been plaguing me since the beginning of time. Possibly while dinosaurs still roamed the earth, although not too sure about that. Could have been a few years later.

Doctors have diagnosed me with a chronic sinus infection at the age of 5-6, performed a surgery that supposedly helped, but headaches never really went away.
Later at the age of 21 I went back to a physician, and a neurologist, and a chiropractor, and the voodoo doctor, as well as that guy in the dark alley selling kidneys, but apparently my sinus infection was gone and migraines with slight allergies were here.

Here's a list of just few of my triggers:
Biggest and best of them is living. Apparently that's often a side effect.
Breathing too. God forbid exercise & eating & sleeping. Surprisingly sex has no adverse effects on migraines,(Hooray!) but having a cycle is. Well at least latter is taken care of for now. With a beautiful baby on the way I won't see or hear from my cycle forever. Or 9 months. Whichever comes first.
Foods, allergies, occasional yet mild sinus infection, that's common with me, are also triggers. Worst of all are smells, noises and my back going out of whack.

Things that help to counter these migraines:
Darkness (I love that mistress of light, she is entirely too kind to us migraneurs).
Proper combo of vitamins, supplements, sex, caffeine, rest and kittens. Yes orgasms often relieve my migraines. So does petting kittens. Both things are absolutely a must.
Lately also the euphoria that's going along thinking about our baby expanding our family. I'm not entirely sure about how I'm going to treat my migraine in the future.

My fiance Gary and I have been trying to conceive only since April. And I did stop taking things like Imitrex, antidepressants, birth control and prescription strength painkillers. I used to take a variety. Codeines, Oxycodones, anything that sounded good at the time. Although I never abused them. Which probably explains why they never really helped in the first place.

Strangely enough dark rooms with proper ventilation, and an ice pack on my head along with 3 Excedrin more often than not helped me immensely.

Can't get over how happy I feel about having a baby. It's taken all my thoughts and kept a smile on my face all day.
Which is a reaction we promote in all healthy pregnant women in healthy happy relationships.

3 comments:

rain gem said...

Good article, keep posting; I linked you up :Y

Kroshka said...

Thanks Rain :)
peace out x:

Diana Lee said...

I just came across your blog. Reading about your experience as a pregnant migraineur has been great.

I, too, have chronic migraines. I would love to TTC someday soon, but there are so many considerations and concerns.

I look forward to following along with your story.

Diana